Bitronix Throws Unknown XA Resource

JBPM USR
Hi,

I am using bitronix transaction manager 2.1.2 with Oracle 11G.

I see that the bitronix transaction manager starts throwing the following exception :

bitronix.tm.internal.BitronixSystemException : Unknown XAResource <> it doesnot belong to a registered source.

This happens after i see some exceptions pertaining to closed connections when connecting to Oracle DB.

Has any one faced this issue ?.  Please advice.

Thanks.

Re: Bitronix Throws Unknown XA Resource

Ludovic Orban-2
This exception is thrown when an unknown XAResource is being enlisted
in a transaction.

How did you configure your connection pool? Are you using only a
single Oracle DB or are there other resources that should participate
in the transactions? Are you trying to enlist XAResources yourself?

In all cases, posting the full stack trace instead of just the error
message would be helpful trying to understand what is going on.

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 7:53 AM, JBPM USR <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using bitronix transaction manager 2.1.2 with Oracle 11G.
>
> I see that the bitronix transaction manager starts throwing the following
> exception :
>
> bitronix.tm.internal.BitronixSystemException : Unknown XAResource <> it
> doesnot belong to a registered source.
>
> This happens after i see some exceptions pertaining to closed connections
> when connecting to Oracle DB.
>
> Has any one faced this issue ?.  Please advice.
>
> Thanks.

Re: Bitronix Throws Unknown XA Resource

JBPM USR
Adding Some Additional Details :

Exact Error Message

Original Exception : javax.persistence.PersistenceException: org.hibernate.exception.GenericJDBCException: could not get next sequence value

Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: error enlisting a JdbcConnectionHandle of a JdbcPooledConnection from datasource jdbc/testdb in state IN_POOL with usage count 1 wrapping oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CXAConnection@4df8d594 on oracle.jdbc.driver.LogicalConnection@1dd71b66

Caused by: bitronix.tm.internal.BitronixSystemException: unknown XAResource oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CXAResource@47556fb7, it does not belong to a registered resource

Thanks

JBPM USR wrote

Thanks.

Re: Bitronix Throws Unknown XA Resource

JBPM USR

Thanks for your respone.

We have a single DB - There are two resources that will participate in a transaction - A DB and JMS Provider.

Connection Pool is configured using Bitronix Resources Configuration.

We don't enlist resources manually. As mentioned previously we observed closed connection issues and post this the error message mentioned above start happenning.

I will post the trace shortly.

Thanks

Ludovic Orban-2 wrote

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 7:53 AM, JBPM USR <panayappan_i@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using bitronix transaction manager 2.1.2 with Oracle 11G.
>
> I see that the bitronix transaction manager starts throwing the following
> exception :
>
> bitronix.tm.internal.BitronixSystemException : Unknown XAResource <> it
> doesnot belong to a registered source.
>
> This happens after i see some exceptions pertaining to closed connections
> when connecting to Oracle DB.
>
> Has any one faced this issue ?.  Please advice.
>
> Thanks.

Re: Bitronix Throws Unknown XA Resource

JBPM USR
javax.persistence.PersistenceException: org.hibernate.exception.GenericJDBCException: could not get next sequence value
        at org.hibernate.ejb.AbstractEntityManagerImpl.throwPersistenceException(AbstractEntityManagerImpl.java:614)
        at org.hibernate.ejb.AbstractEntityManagerImpl.persist(AbstractEntityManagerImpl.java:226)
        at org.jbpm.persistence.JpaProcessPersistenceContext.persist(JpaProcessPersistenceContext.java:22)
        at org.jbpm.persistence.processinstance.JPAProcessInstanceManager.addProcessInstance(JPAProcessInstanceManager.java:43)
        at org.jbpm.process.instance.AbstractProcessInstanceFactory.createProcessInstance(AbstractProcessInstanceFactory.java:36)
        at org.jbpm.process.instance.ProcessRuntimeImpl.startProcess(ProcessRuntimeImpl.java:182)
        at org.jbpm.process.instance.ProcessRuntimeImpl.createProcessInstance(ProcessRuntimeImpl.java:154)
        at org.jbpm.process.instance.ProcessRuntimeImpl.startProcess(ProcessRuntimeImpl.java:135)
        at org.drools.common.AbstractWorkingMemory.startProcess(AbstractWorkingMemory.java:1079)
        at org.drools.impl.StatefulKnowledgeSessionImpl.startProcess(StatefulKnowledgeSessionImpl.java:306)
        at org.drools.command.runtime.process.StartProcessCommand.execute(StartProcessCommand.java:119)
        at org.drools.command.runtime.process.StartProcessCommand.execute(StartProcessCommand.java:38)
        at org.drools.command.impl.DefaultCommandService.execute(DefaultCommandService.java:36)
        at org.drools.persistence.SingleSessionCommandService.execute(SingleSessionCommandService.java:345)
        at org.drools.command.impl.CommandBasedStatefulKnowledgeSession.startProcess(CommandBasedStatefulKnowledgeSession.java:223)
        at com.examples.service.ManagerImpl.startProcess(ManagerImpl.java:115)
        at com.examples.service.ManagerImpl$$FastClassByCGLIB$$f174cb7a.invoke(<generated>)
        at net.sf.cglib.proxy.MethodProxy.invoke(MethodProxy.java:149)
        at org.springframework.aop.framework.Cglib2AopProxy$CglibMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(Cglib2AopProxy.java:688)
        at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:150)
        at org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionInterceptor.invoke(TransactionInterceptor.java:110)
        at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:172)
        at org.springframework.aop.interceptor.ExposeInvocationInterceptor.invoke(ExposeInvocationInterceptor.java:90)
        at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:172)
        at org.springframework.aop.framework.Cglib2AopProxy$DynamicAdvisedInterceptor.intercept(Cglib2AopProxy.java:621)
        at com.examples.service.ManagerImpl$$EnhancerByCGLIB$$ee716dce.startProcess(<generated>)
        at com.examples.service.ManagerService.launchWorkflow(ManagerService.java:69)
        at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor158.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.cxf.service.invoker.AbstractInvoker.performInvocation(AbstractInvoker.java:166)
        at org.apache.cxf.service.invoker.AbstractInvoker.invoke(AbstractInvoker.java:82)
        at org.apache.cxf.jaxws.JAXWSMethodInvoker.invoke(JAXWSMethodInvoker.java:55)
        at org.apache.cxf.service.invoker.AbstractInvoker.invoke(AbstractInvoker.java:68)
        at org.apache.cxf.interceptor.ServiceInvokerInterceptor$1.run(ServiceInvokerInterceptor.java:58)
        at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:441)
        at org.apache.cxf.workqueue.SynchronousExecutor.execute(SynchronousExecutor.java:37)
        at org.apache.cxf.interceptor.ServiceInvokerInterceptor.handleMessage(ServiceInvokerInterceptor.java:98)
        at org.apache.cxf.phase.PhaseInterceptorChain.doIntercept(PhaseInterceptorChain.java:236)
        at org.apache.cxf.transport.ChainInitiationObserver.onMessage(ChainInitiationObserver.java:104)
        at org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.ServletDestination.invoke(ServletDestination.java:99)
        at org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.ServletController.invokeDestination(ServletController.java:452)
        at org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.ServletController.invoke(ServletController.java:196)
        at org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.AbstractCXFServlet.invoke(AbstractCXFServlet.java:220)
        at org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.AbstractCXFServlet.doPost(AbstractCXFServlet.java:153)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:637)
        at org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.AbstractCXFServlet.service(AbstractCXFServlet.java:211)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:219)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
        at org.apache.catalina.ha.session.JvmRouteBinderValve.invoke(JvmRouteBinderValve.java:227)
        at org.apache.catalina.ha.tcp.ReplicationValve.invoke(ReplicationValve.java:347)
        at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:293)
        at org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpAprProcessor.process(AjpAprProcessor.java:448)
        at org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpAprProtocol$AjpConnectionHandler.process(AjpAprProtocol.java:399)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$Worker.run(AprEndpoint.java:1675)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
Caused by: org.hibernate.exception.GenericJDBCException: could not get next sequence value
        at org.hibernate.exception.SQLStateConverter.handledNonSpecificException(SQLStateConverter.java:103)
        at org.hibernate.exception.SQLStateConverter.convert(SQLStateConverter.java:91)
        at org.hibernate.exception.JDBCExceptionHelper.convert(JDBCExceptionHelper.java:43)
        at org.hibernate.id.SequenceGenerator.generate(SequenceGenerator.java:96)
        at org.hibernate.event.def.AbstractSaveEventListener.saveWithGeneratedId(AbstractSaveEventListener.java:99)
        at org.hibernate.ejb.event.EJB3PersistEventListener.saveWithGeneratedId(EJB3PersistEventListener.java:49)
        at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultPersistEventListener.entityIsTransient(DefaultPersistEventListener.java:131)
        at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultPersistEventListener.onPersist(DefaultPersistEventListener.java:87)
        at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultPersistEventListener.onPersist(DefaultPersistEventListener.java:38)
        at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.firePersist(SessionImpl.java:618)
        at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.persist(SessionImpl.java:592)
        at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.persist(SessionImpl.java:596)
        at org.hibernate.ejb.AbstractEntityManagerImpl.persist(AbstractEntityManagerImpl.java:220)
        ... 61 more
Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: error enlisting a JdbcConnectionHandle of a JdbcPooledConnection from datasource jdbc/jbpmdb in state IN_POOL with usage count 1 wrapping oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CXAConnection@4df8d594 on oracle.jdbc.driver.LogicalConnection@1dd71b66
        at bitronix.tm.resource.jdbc.JdbcConnectionHandle.enlistResource(JdbcConnectionHandle.java:86)
        at bitronix.tm.resource.jdbc.JdbcConnectionHandle.prepareStatement(JdbcConnectionHandle.java:243)
        at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor128.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at bitronix.tm.resource.jdbc.BaseProxyHandlerClass.invoke(BaseProxyHandlerClass.java:63)
        at $Proxy40.prepareStatement(Unknown Source)
        at org.hibernate.jdbc.AbstractBatcher.getPreparedStatement(AbstractBatcher.java:505)
        at org.hibernate.jdbc.AbstractBatcher.prepareSelectStatement(AbstractBatcher.java:123)
        at org.hibernate.id.SequenceGenerator.generate(SequenceGenerator.java:73)
        ... 70 more
Caused by: bitronix.tm.internal.BitronixSystemException: unknown XAResource oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CXAResource@47556fb7, it does not belong to a registered resource
        at bitronix.tm.BitronixTransaction.enlistResource(BitronixTransaction.java:85)
        at bitronix.tm.resource.common.TransactionContextHelper.enlistInCurrentTransaction(TransactionContextHelper.java:70)
        at bitronix.tm.resource.jdbc.JdbcConnectionHandle.enlistResource(JdbcConnectionHandle.java:84)
        ... 79 more
JBPM USR wrote
Hi,

Thanks for your respone.

We have a single DB - There are two resources that will participate in a transaction - A DB and JMS Provider.

Connection Pool is configured using Bitronix Resources Configuration.

We don't enlist resources manually. As mentioned previously we observed closed connection issues and post this the error message mentioned above start happenning.

I will post the trace shortly.

Thanks

Ludovic Orban-2 wrote
This exception is thrown when an unknown XAResource is being enlisted
in a transaction.

How did you configure your connection pool? Are you using only a
single Oracle DB or are there other resources that should participate
in the transactions? Are you trying to enlist XAResources yourself?

In all cases, posting the full stack trace instead of just the error
message would be helpful trying to understand what is going on.

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 7:53 AM, JBPM USR <panayappan_i@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using bitronix transaction manager 2.1.2 with Oracle 11G.
>
> I see that the bitronix transaction manager starts throwing the following
> exception :
>
> bitronix.tm.internal.BitronixSystemException : Unknown XAResource <> it
> doesnot belong to a registered source.
>
> This happens after i see some exceptions pertaining to closed connections
> when connecting to Oracle DB.
>
> Has any one faced this issue ?.  Please advice.
>
> Thanks.

Re: Bitronix Throws Unknown XA Resource

Ludovic Orban-2
This looks very suspicious, and I cannot rule out a bug in BTM.

Can I ask you to upgrade to version 2.1.3 and reproduce this problem
while collecting debug logs and post them here? Please try to be as
brief as possible and enable GTRID logging in the Mapped Diagnostic
Context (see http://docs.codehaus.org/display/BTM/DebugLogging2x) as
BTM can generate enormous amount of debug data that I'll need to
analyze in details.

Thanks!

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 7:03 PM, JBPM USR <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> transaction - A DB and JMS Provider.
>>
>> Connection Pool is configured using Bitronix Resources Configuration.
>>
>> We don't enlist resources manually. As mentioned previously we observed
>> closed connection issues and post this the error message mentioned above
>> start happenning.
>>
>> I will post the trace shortly.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> Ludovic Orban-2 wrote:
>>>
>>> This exception is thrown when an unknown XAResource is being enlisted
>>> in a transaction.
>>>
>>> How did you configure your connection pool? Are you using only a
>>> single Oracle DB or are there other resources that should participate
>>> in the transactions? Are you trying to enlist XAResources yourself?
>>>
>>> In all cases, posting the full stack trace instead of just the error
>>> message would be helpful trying to understand what is going on.

acscheiner
Hi Ludovic,

Thanks for your response.

I'm fairly certain this is not a BTM bug, but, rather, a user error. It appears I had been defaulting to a transaction-type of RESOURCE_LOCAL in my persistence-unit, but, now I am explicitly specifying JTA and have made progress in getting things working. I'm not completely out of the woods, but I'm past the issue I reported in this forum.

Andrew