Guaranteed Isolation Level

cmathrusse
Is there a way to have BTM to guarantee the isolation level of its JDBC resources? Meaning, before I get a connection from a DataSource can BTM ensure that the isolation level of the resource is set to a predefined value? Maybe something like: resource.ds.isolation.guaranteed=true resource.ds.isolation.level=READ-UNCOMMITTED Thanks...

Re: Guaranteed Isolation Level

Strictly speaking setting the isolation level isn't the responsibility of the transaction manager nor of the connection pool.

On the other hand, implementing this shouldn't be hard and can be useful. You can create a feature request in JIRA and I'll consider it for after 1.3.

Re: Guaranteed Isolation Level

cmathrusse
I would agree that it is not the responsibility of the TM. As far as who's responsibility it is, I would say that whoever uses the resource should be the one to set the proper isolation level. (End of point)

Now, for the world of users that are not working responsibly, I think it would be a nice-to-have feature. (Not that I need it, but I have heard talk from others that might find it useful)

Thanks Ludovic.

Re: Guaranteed Isolation Level

Wim Goossens
I love oracle where you can only set the isolation level at server level.

cmathrusse wrote
I would agree that it is not the responsibility of the TM. As far as who's responsibility it is, I would say that whoever uses the resource should be the one to set the proper isolation level. (End of point)

Now, for the world of users that are not working responsibly, I think it would be a nice-to-have feature. (Not that I need it, but I have heard talk from others that might find it useful)

Thanks Ludovic.

Re: Guaranteed Isolation Level

@Chris: I couldn't agree more. I'll definitely implement this in a future release. I'm curious about 'the others' who might find that useful you spoke about.

@Wim: what do you mean exaclty ? Does Connection.setTransactionIsolation(int level) has no effect on Oracle ?

Re: Guaranteed Isolation Level

Wim Goossens
Yes, setting it at connection level has no effect at all.

Ludovic Orban wrote
@Chris: I couldn't agree more. I'll definitely implement this in a future release. I'm curious about 'the others' who might find that useful you spoke about.

@Wim: what do you mean exaclty ? Does Connection.setTransactionIsolation(int level) has no effect on Oracle ?

Re: Guaranteed Isolation Level

Wim Goossens
Oracle just supports READ_COMMITTED and SERIALIZABLE (last time i checked)

Ludovic Orban wrote