Infrequent BitronixSystemException - error logging status

Infrequent BitronixSystemException - error logging status

bdangubic
All,

I am getting an infrequent (once in couple of days) exception below, any input would be greatly appreciated. The exception eventually traces to FileNotFoundException on btm2.tlog - we checked the filesystem and the file is definitely there when the exception occurs. Server restart "fixes" the problem.

Thanks!

org.springframework.transaction.CannotCreateTransactionException: JTA failure on begin; nested exception is bitronix.tm.internal.BitronixSystemException: error logging status
com.jsi.exception.ProgramException: org.springframework.transaction.CannotCreateTransactionException: JTA failure on begin; nested exception is bitronix.tm.internal.BitronixSystemException: error logging status
Caused by: org.springframework.transaction.CannotCreateTransactionException: JTA failure on begin; nested exception is bitronix.tm.internal.BitronixSystemException: error logging status
at org.springframework.transaction.jta.JtaTransactionManager.doBegin(JtaTransactionManager.java:856)
at org.springframework.transaction.support.AbstractPlatformTransactionManager.getTransaction(AbstractPlatformTransactionManager.java:374)
at org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionAspectSupport.createTransactionIfNecessary(TransactionAspectSupport.java:263)
at org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionInterceptor.invoke(TransactionInterceptor.java:101)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:171)
at org.springframework.aop.interceptor.ExposeInvocationInterceptor.invoke(ExposeInvocationInterceptor.java:89)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:171)
at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:204)
Caused by: bitronix.tm.internal.BitronixSystemException: error logging status
at bitronix.tm.BitronixTransaction.setStatus(BitronixTransaction.java:283)
at bitronix.tm.BitronixTransaction.setStatus(BitronixTransaction.java:261)
at bitronix.tm.BitronixTransaction.setActive(BitronixTransaction.java:256)
at bitronix.tm.BitronixTransactionManager.begin(BitronixTransactionManager.java:85)
at org.springframework.transaction.jta.JtaTransactionManager.doJtaBegin(JtaTransactionManager.java:886)
at org.springframework.transaction.jta.JtaTransactionManager.doBegin(JtaTransactionManager.java:843)
... 77 more
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: btm2.tlog (The system cannot find the file specified)
at java.io.RandomAccessFile.<init>(RandomAccessFile.java:212)
at bitronix.tm.journal.TransactionLogCursor.<init>(TransactionLogCursor.java:34)
at bitronix.tm.journal.TransactionLogAppender.getCursor(TransactionLogAppender.java:128)
at bitronix.tm.journal.DiskJournal.collectDanglingRecords(DiskJournal.java:327)
at bitronix.tm.journal.DiskJournal.copyDanglingRecords(DiskJournal.java:308)
at bitronix.tm.journal.DiskJournal.swapJournalFiles(DiskJournal.java:271)
at bitronix.tm.journal.DiskJournal.log(DiskJournal.java:80)
at bitronix.tm.BitronixTransaction.setStatus(BitronixTransaction.java:272)
... 82 more

Re: Infrequent BitronixSystemException - error logging status

snicoll
Check also the location of the BTM transactional logs to see if there
is something special about it.

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 6:23 PM, bdangubic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> at java.io.RandomAccessFile.open(Native Method)
> at java.io.RandomAccessFile.<init>(RandomAccessFile.java:212)
> at
> bitronix.tm.journal.TransactionLogCursor.<init>(TransactionLogCursor.java:34)
> at
> bitronix.tm.journal.TransactionLogAppender.getCursor(TransactionLogAppender.java:128)
> at
> bitronix.tm.journal.DiskJournal.collectDanglingRecords(DiskJournal.java:327)
> at bitronix.tm.journal.DiskJournal.copyDanglingRecords(DiskJournal.java:308)
> at bitronix.tm.journal.DiskJournal.swapJournalFiles(DiskJournal.java:271)
> at bitronix.tm.journal.DiskJournal.log(DiskJournal.java:80)
> at bitronix.tm.BitronixTransaction.setStatus(BitronixTransaction.java:272)
> ... 82 more

Re: Infrequent BitronixSystemException - error logging status

Thanks for the reply Orban,

The app is running within SpringSource tcServer on JVM 1.6.0_24 connecting to MSSQL 2008, server is running 64-bit Windows Server 2008.

Ludovic Orban-2 wrote

2011/6/7 bdangubic <bozidar.dangubic@gmail.com>

> [...]
> at java.io.RandomAccessFile.<init>(RandomAccessFile.java:212)
> at
>
> bitronix.tm.journal.TransactionLogCursor.<init>(TransactionLogCursor.java:34)
> at
>
> bitronix.tm.journal.TransactionLogAppender.getCursor(TransactionLogAppender.java:128)
> at
>
> bitronix.tm.journal.DiskJournal.collectDanglingRecords(DiskJournal.java:327)
> at
> bitronix.tm.journal.DiskJournal.copyDanglingRecords(DiskJournal.java:308)
> at bitronix.tm.journal.DiskJournal.swapJournalFiles(DiskJournal.java:271)
> at bitronix.tm.journal.DiskJournal.log(DiskJournal.java:80)
> at bitronix.tm.BitronixTransaction.setStatus(BitronixTransaction.java:272)
> ... 82 more

Re: Infrequent BitronixSystemException - error logging status

Dennis Brakhane-2
On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 7:32 PM, bdangubic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Orban,
>
> The app is running within SpringSource tcServer on JVM 1.6.0_24 connecting
> to MSSQL 2008, server is running 64-bit Windows Server 2008.

Are you running a Anti-Virus software? If yes, try to exclude the
directory containing
the tlog files from the scanned directory lists.

This behaviour (newly created files not found for a few seconds after
creation) is typical
of badly programmed anti-virus software on windows (of which there are
quite a few,
unfortunately)

Re: Infrequent BitronixSystemException - error logging status

bdangubic
Thanks for the tip!! I'll investigate and let you know if that is the culprit! Thanks again for your time!

Dennis Brakhane-2 wrote
On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 7:32 PM, bdangubic <bozidar.dangubic@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Orban,
>
> The app is running within SpringSource tcServer on JVM 1.6.0_24 connecting
> to MSSQL 2008, server is running 64-bit Windows Server 2008.

Are you running a Anti-Virus software? If yes, try to exclude the
directory containing
the tlog files from the scanned directory lists.

This behaviour (newly created files not found for a few seconds after
creation) is typical
of badly programmed anti-virus software on windows (of which there are
quite a few,
unfortunately)

Re: Infrequent BitronixSystemException - error logging status

bdangubic
Just wanted to let you guys know that it was not Virus Scan and that this is now happening several times per day for no apparent reason, same exception. Nothing really special about the folder where journal files are located... If you guys have any other thoughts I'd sure appreciate it!

Thanks,
-b

bdangubic wrote
Thanks for the tip!! I'll investigate and let you know if that is the culprit! Thanks again for your time!

Dennis Brakhane-2 wrote
On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 7:32 PM, bdangubic <bozidar.dangubic@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Orban,
>
> The app is running within SpringSource tcServer on JVM 1.6.0_24 connecting
> to MSSQL 2008, server is running 64-bit Windows Server 2008.

Are you running a Anti-Virus software? If yes, try to exclude the
directory containing
the tlog files from the scanned directory lists.

This behaviour (newly created files not found for a few seconds after
creation) is typical
of badly programmed anti-virus software on windows (of which there are
quite a few,
unfortunately)

Re: Infrequent BitronixSystemException - error logging status

Ludovic Orban-2
This problem is really weird in the way that I can't think of a single reason why BTM's code would be at fault. It has to be an environmental issue. It could be a bug in the OS, the JVM, a hardware failure or some other external factor.

From your previous stack trace's root error message (java.io.FileNotFoundException: btm2.tlog (The system cannot find the file specified)) I suppose you haven't set the BTM journal file names yourself and are just using the default values.

Can you try setting the journal file names yourself and store them at a location you know for sure you can write to? Could you also make sure that both files are created when BTM starts up and have identical size?