Rollback during startup

bhanner@technobabblist.com
We are using BTM in conjunction with spring-batch to manage some XA
transactions.  We are using DB2 and Websphere MQ.  I found this in our log
file while starting up and would like to know if anyone knows what the
errorcode -4 means.

Thanks,
Ben

2012-07-24 11:11:44,714 INFO  [tm.BitronixTransactionManager:main] -
<Bitronix Transaction Manager version 2.1.2>
2012-07-24 11:11:44,715 INFO  [tm.Configuration:main] - <JVM unique ID:
<spring-btm>>
2012-07-24 11:11:46,973 INFO  [recovery.Recoverer:main] - <recovery
committed 0 dangling transaction(s) and rolled back 0 aborted
transaction(s) on 1 resource(s
) [targetDb] (restricted to serverId 'spring-btm')>
2012-07-24 11:11:46,983 INFO  [jta.JtaTransactionManager:main] - <Using JTA
UserTransaction: a BitronixTransactionManager with 0 in-flight
transaction(s)>
2012-07-24 11:11:46,984 INFO  [jta.JtaTransactionManager:main] - <Using JTA
TransactionManager: a BitronixTransactionManager with 0 in-flight
transaction(s)>
2012-07-24 11:11:49,739 ERROR [recovery.RecoveryHelper:main] - <unable to
rollback aborted in-doubt branch on resource activemq - error=XAER_NOTA.
Forgotten heu
ristic?>
javax.transaction.xa.XAException: The method 'xa_rollback' has failed with
errorCode '-4'.
        at com.ibm.mq.jmqi.JmqiXAResource.rollback(JmqiXAResource.java:724)
        at
bitronix.tm.recovery.RecoveryHelper.rollback(RecoveryHelper.java:216)
        at
bitronix.tm.recovery.IncrementalRecoverer.recover(IncrementalRecoverer.java:
85)
        at
bitronix.tm.resource.ResourceRegistrar.register(ResourceRegistrar.java:78)
        at
bitronix.tm.resource.jms.PoolingConnectionFactory.buildXAPool(PoolingConnect
ionFactory.java:121)
        at
bitronix.tm.resource.jms.PoolingConnectionFactory.init(PoolingConnectionFact
ory.java:72)
        at
)
        at
.java:25)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory
.invokeCustomInitMethod(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1544)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory
.invokeInitMethods(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1485)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory
.initializeBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1417)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory
.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:519)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory
.createBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:456)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory$1.getObject(Ab
stractBeanFactory.java:291)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.getSi
ngleton(DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.java:222)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.doGetBean(Abst
ractBeanFactory.java:288)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(Abstra
ctBeanFactory.java:190)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.BeanDefinitionValueResolver.resolv
eReference(BeanDefinitionValueResolver.java:322)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.BeanDefinitionValueResolver.resolv
eValueIfNecessary(BeanDefinitionValueResolver.java:106)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory
.applyPropertyValues(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1325)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory
.populateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1086)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory
.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:517)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory
.createBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:456)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory$1.getObject(Ab
stractBeanFactory.java:291)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.getSi
ngleton(DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.java:222)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.doGetBean(Abst
ractBeanFactory.java:288)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(Abstra
ctBeanFactory.java:190)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory.preInst
antiateSingletons(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java:580)
        at
org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.finishBeanFac
toryInitialization(AbstractApplicationContext.java:895)
        at
org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.refresh(Abstr
actApplicationContext.java:425)
        at
org.springframework.context.support.ClassPathXmlApplicationContext.<init>(Cl
assPathXmlApplicationContext.java:139)
        at
org.springframework.context.support.ClassPathXmlApplicationContext.<init>(Cl
assPathXmlApplicationContext.java:83)
        at
org.springframework.batch.core.launch.support.CommandLineJobRunner.start(Com
mandLineJobRunner.java:282)
        at
org.springframework.batch.core.launch.support.CommandLineJobRunner.main(Comm
andLineJobRunner.java:574)
2012-07-24 11:11:49,752 ERROR [recovery.RecoveryHelper:main] - <unable to
[...]
2012-07-24 11:11:49,756 ERROR [recovery.RecoveryHelper:main] - <unable to
[...]

Re: Rollback during startup

Ludovic Orban-2
-4 is the error code for XAER_NOTA
(http://docs.oracle.com/javase/1.4.2/docs/api/constant-values.html#javax.transaction.xa.XAException.XAER_NOTA)
as reported in the exception.

What this error means is that your JMS server returned an XID when
XAResource.recover() was called but forgot about it by the time the
recovery process asked to roll it back.

When this happens, BTM assumes that the transaction was terminated
correctly but since the XA protocol wasn't respected, that is just an
assumption even if nothing tends to show atomicity was lost. You get
this kind of error only when the XAResource doesn't respect the XA
protocol so I'd suggest you to investigate a bit on that side and try
to figure out what happened.